Moving to a smaller house can be a great move financially and mentally. After all, less square footage means lower utility bills and less space which needs cleaning with one moving. There are so many advantages and disadvantages to small house living that are hard to appreciate until you’ve moved out.
But the process of downsizing to a smaller home can be even more exhausting than a regular move. Arranging all the furniture in this small living room is confusing. This means the furniture needs to be arranged in such a way to allow people to walk around and to face each other when sitting down.
SECURE MOVING will share the benefits of living in a small house:
- Smaller homes are often more energy efficient because they have less space to heat and cool, which means they have a lower ecological footprint.
- . Fewer rooms mean less time spent on cleaning and home maintenance. This has been a huge perk for my family, since it means we spend more time outdoors, doing things we love.
- Because a smaller home typically costs less, this frees up money every month to spend on things that you really want. It’s not just the lower mortgage payment that will save you money, though. There’s about a $200/month difference for our electric bill from our 900 square foot home to our 3000 square foot home. That adds up to major savings over the years that you’ll spend in your home.
- Your family has grown closer to each other because there’s nowhere to hide.
- When you live in a smaller house though, having your space set up and decorated exactly how you want it is pretty easy! You can paint yourself, and start small grabbing quality items that are made to last and upgrading things slowly over time. After some time, you’ll have a magazine worthy house that you’ll be proud of at the fraction of the cost of a larger home.
- More stuff makes you look and feel like a crazy hoarder when your house is small. There are limited surfaces for placing things on, so anything not away in a drawer or cupboard adds to the overwhelm. It’s pretty much the best way to declutter – having all your shit laid out in front of you and just getting rid of as much of it as you can.
- And some other pros like: more disposable income, lower property taxes, lower environmental impact, forced decluttering and also Reduced commute.
Living in a smaller home can actually improve your life.